Thursday, September 23, 2021

Friends Tell Friends EVERYTHING... Right?

 Heyo! I know a bunch of you are a little bummed that we brought masks back last night, but on the bright side, at least we still get to meet every week! With the way that schools have to handle covid exposure, we didn't want the Summit to be an unnecessary risk. So, I hope you can understand our reasoning and I hope to see yall next week!

Last night was our Parent's Night, so I know I was a bit scarce throughout the night. Since I was in with some of your parents, we pulled out a video from "The Skit Guys" on YouTube - before you read any further, go look up "Friends Tell Friends Everything by the Skit Guys" on YouTube and watch it. Don't worry, it is hilarious and completely worth your time. Seriously. Stop reading. Go watch. I'll wait.

...

...

...

Well? What did you think?

To be honest, I've never been one of those people who tells anybody everything. I have always kept certain things to myself and not shared them with anybody, not even my closest friends. And I am sure we all have those things that we keep hidden or secret, either because we're ashamed of them or because we just don't want anyone to know everything about us.

But in the skit, the two guys had grown up together and their friendship mantra was centered on "friends tell friends everything". And yet, right at the end we find out that "Danny" had kept his faith a secret from "Stevie" the whole time. He had never had the courage to open up and talk to his friend about the biggest news of his life. And even at the end, as they are about to graduate high school, he still can't find the courage to do it.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your friends, whether its a "friends tell friends everything" kind of friendship or a much more shallow one. But if what we believe is true, that mankind is in need of a Savior and the ONLY way to be made right with God is through faith in Jesus Christ, then what are we really doing when we "chicken out" of sharing our faith with our friends?

Like, "Hey, I know how to live forever but I'm not going to tell you."

It's easy to make excuses (I've made them, too). "They're going to think I am some kind of religious nut." I was called a Bible Thumper by my best friend in elementary school when he found out I went to church. "They won't want to be friends with me anymore." "It would just be such an awkward conversation." "I don't know what to say." "What if they ask something and I don't know the answer?" "What if they laugh at me?"

But let me put this out there: What if they believe you? You have vital information that could forever change their lives for the better. Don't be afraid to share it! 2 Timothy 1:7 tells us "For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline." Additionally, Romans 8:14-15 says "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.'"

Every Christian has the Holy Spirit of God living inside of them. If you are a Christian, then you have the Holy Spirit of God living in you. When we give in to fear, or anxiety, it means we are relying on our own power to do something. But when we rely on the Spirit of God living inside of us, he empowers us to do what needs to be done - not by our own strength, but by his! So as you continue to hang out with your friends, look for ways to talk about what you believe. And don't worry about what to say, or how to say it - let God's Spirit handle that part. Just get the conversation started and see where it goes. Who knows, God may use you to bring your friends to faith in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Balance in Life

This is part 4 of a series we have been going through each week. You can look back at previous posts to go into depth, but here's a quic...